Cristiano Ronaldo was given birth to on the 5th of February 1985 and was raised in Madeira. His parents are Maria Dolores dos Santos Viveiros da Aveiro and Jose Dinis Aveiro, he is their youngest and fourth child. He is a Portuguese professional footballer who plays an attacking position for Italian club Juventus. He is among the best players in the world and the greatest players of all time. The prolific forward started playing football from his youth featuring for Andorinha, Nacional, and Sporting CP. The Portuguese forward signed his first professional contract for Sporting CP at the age of 16. After signing his professional contract with them, he only played for a year as their player before signing for Manchester United in 2003.
On his arrival at Manchester United, he became the first-ever Portuguese player to feature for the English club. The Red Devils paid 12.24 million pounds for Ronaldo to make him the most expensive teenager in English football history. It was at Manchester United that Ronaldo started to wear the famous No.7 shirt. Previously, Manchester United No.7 shirt was worn by their best players such as George Best, Eric Cantona, and David Beckham. The number 7 shirt then became an extra motivation for Cristiano Ronaldo. The majority of his development was made throughout his spell at Manchester United. Cristiano Ronaldo also revealed that Sir Alex Ferguson, Manchester United’s most successful manager, was a key element in his development and an influential factor in his career. Ronaldo scored two goals on his league debut for Manchester United. His most prolific Manchester United campaign was in 2007/08 where he scored 42 goals in all competition. The Portuguese star ended his stint in England with nine trophies and some personal awards.
Cristiano Ronaldo joined Real Madrid ahead of the 2009/10 campaign for a then world-record fee of 80 million pounds. On his League debut for the Spanish club, he scored a penalty. He then scored in his first four league games. At the end of his second season at Real Madrid, he became the first La Liga player to score 40 goals. With his prolific performance, he won the Pichichi Trophy and the European Golden Boot. He formed an attacking trio with Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema popularly known as BBC in his fourth season in Madrid. His greatest team success was achieved at Real Madrid till date. Ronaldo scored 311 goals for Real Madrid during his successful stint with them.
Juventus signed Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid for a huge transfer fee of 100 million euros, the transfer fee was the highest-paid by an Italian club and it made Ronaldo the most expensive player of over 30 years. He scored his first goal for Juventus in his fourth appearance. In his second season in Italy, he became the oldest player to score more than 30 goals in one of the European top five leagues.
Cristiano Ronaldo started his international career at the youth level at the 2001 European Youth Summer Olympic Festival, his debut ended in a defeat to Finland. He made 34 caps for the Portugal youth team where he scored 18 goals overall. The Juventus star made his international debut for Portugal national team at the age of 18 in 2003. He scored the second-highest goal for Portugal in the 2006 FIFA World Cup European Qualifiers. He captained Portugal national team for the first time at the age of 22. He was provided his famous number 7 shirt ahead of the Euro 2008. He scored eight goals in the qualifiers of the Euro 2008 which was the second-highest tally. Ronaldo scored his first international hat trick against Northern Ireland in the 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers. On the 5th of March 2014, Ronaldo scored two goals in a friendly match against Cameroon to become Portugal’s all-time highest goal scorer. On the 15th of June, 2018, he became the oldest player to score a hat trick in a World Cup match. Cristiano Ronaldo is one of the four players to score a goal in four different World Cups and the first Portuguese to do so. In the 2020/21 UEFA Nations League, Ronaldo scored his 100th and 101st international goals in his team’s 2-0 victory over Sweden.
Cristiano Ronaldo is among the most decorated players of all time. He has won different trophies and has achieved many milestones in his career. Below are the trophies and personal awards he has won throughout his career.
- Supertaca Candido de Oliveira (Sporting CP): 2002
- English Premier League (Manchester United): 2007, 2008, 2009
- FA Cup (Manchester United): 2004
- League Cup (Manchester United): 2006, 2009
- FA Community Shield (Manchester United): 2007
- UEFA Champions League (Manchester United): 2008
- FIFA Club World Cup (Manchester United): 2008
- La Liga (Real Madrid): 2012, 2017
- Copa Del Rey (Real Madrid): 2011, 2014
- Supercopa de Espana (Real Madrid): 2012, 2017
- UEFA Champions League (Real Madrid): 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
- UEFA Super Cup (Real Madrid): 2014, 2017
- FIFA Club World Cup (Real Madrid): 2014, 2016, 2017
- Serie A (Juventus): 2019, 2020
- Supercoppa Italiana (Juventus): 2018
- UEFA European Championship (Portugal): 2016
- UEFA Nations League (Portugal): 2019
- FIFA Ballon Dor: 2008, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
- FIFA World Player Of The Year: 2008
- Serie A Footballer Of The Year: 2019
- UEFA Best European Player Award: 2014, 2016, 2017
- UEFA Club Footballer Of The Year: 2008
- UEFA Club Forward Of The Year: 2008
- PFA Portuguese Player Of The Year: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- European Golden Shoe: 2008, 2011, 2014, 2015
- FIFA Puskas Award: 2009
- UEFA Team Of The Year: 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- UEFA Squad Of The Season: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- UEFA European Championship Team Of The Tournament: 2004, 2012, 2016
- FIFA World Cup Dream Team: 2018
- FIFA Club World Cup Golden Ball: 2016
- PFA Players Player Of The Year: 2007, 2008
- PFA Young Player Of The Year: 2007
- Premier League Player Of The Season: 2007, 2008
- FWA Footballer Of The Year: 2007, 2008
- Premier League Golden Boot: 2008
- La Liga Best Player: 2014
- La Liga Best Forward: 2014
- La Liga Most Valuable Player: 2013
- La Liga Team Of The Season: 2014, 2015, 2016
- Pichichi Trophy: 2011, 2014, 2015
- Serie A Most Valuable Player: 2019
Did You Know?
Cristiano Ronaldo is…
- The first player to be watched by 80,000 fans during his presentation at the Santiago Bernabeu, it surpassed Diego Maradona record of 75,000 which lasted for 25 years.
- The first Real Madrid player to score in his first four league games.
- The first player to win the European Golden Boot in two different leagues (England and Spain).
- The first player to score against all 19 opposition teams in a single season in the La Liga campaign.
- The First player to score in six successive El Clasico matches.
- The first non-Spanish player to captain Madrid in an El Clasico match for over 60 years.
- The Fastest Player to reach 200 goals in the Spanish top tier league, he reached the milestone in just 178 games.
- The all-time highest goal scorer of Real Madrid.
- The all-time highest goal scorer in the UEFA Champions League.
- The first Player to score hundred UEFA Champions League goals.
- The first player to score in three UEFA Champions League finals.
- The first player to score in all six UEFA Champions League group stage matches.
- The first player to win five UEFA Champions League titles.
- The first player to win 100 UEFA Champions League matches.
- The first player to win the league titles in England, Spain, and Italy.
- The player with the Most Champions League wins of all time.
- The second player behind Alexis Sanchez to score a hat trick in the English Premier League, La Liga, and Serie A.
- The Highest Scoring Portuguese player in Serie A history.
- The second-fastest player to score 50 Serie A goals.
- The first player in history to score 50 goals in the English Premier League, La Liga, and Serie A.
- The first Player after Ali Daei of Iran to score over 100 international goals. He is also the first European player to reach the milestone