Everything you need to know about Neymar Jr consists of all his club and country’s history alongside his personal awards, trophies won, and fabulous facts. Neymar Jr was born in Sao Paulo to Nadine da Silva and Neymar Santos Sr on the 5th of February 1992. The Brazilian came into prominence at Brazilian Serie A club Santos where he made his professional debut at the age of 17. Prior to his professional contract, he did not play for long at youth levels. In his first season as a professional player of Santos, he scored 14 goals in 48 games.
On the 15th of April 2010, Neymar Jr scored five goals for the Brazilian club in the qualifying stages of the Brazilian Cup against Guarani which they defeated 8-1. Santos won the Campeonato Paulista in 2010 with the help of Neymar Jr where he scored 14 goals in 19 games. He was awarded the best player of the competition. He ended the 2010 campaign with 42 goals in 60 games for Santos. On the 5th of February 2012, he turned 20 years and he scored his 100th goal as a professional player. He finished the 2012 Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A with 14 goals and the Golden ball award. His last season as a Santos player was the 2013 Campeonato Paulista. Neymar Jr is among the greatest players Santos has ever owned.
On the 27th of May 2013, Neymar Jr joined Barcelona after participating in the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup. After his arrival for a mysterious fee, he signed a five-year contract with the Catalans lasting till 2018. He was unveiled by Barcelona after passing some medical tests on the 3rd of June 2013. 56,500 fans attended his presentation at Camp Nou.
Neymar made his competitive debut for Barcelona in the opening game of the 2013/14 La Liga season coming on as a substitute in the 63rd minute for Alexis Sanchez in a 7-0 win over Levante. The Brazilian scored his first Barcelona competitive goal against Atletico Madrid seven minutes after subbing Pedro with a header from Dani Alves’ cross. He made his UEFA Champions League debut that same season with an assist for Gerard Pique’s goal as Barcelona defeated Ajax 3-0 in their opening match. Six days after his Champions League debut, he scored his first league goal for the Catalans.
On the 26th of October 2013, he made his first appearance in an El Clasico match contributing a goal and the assist for the winning goal. He scored 39 goals in all competition in his second season at Barcelona. He formed an attacking trio with Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez, the attacking trio scored 122 goals the highest number of goals scored in a season by any attacking trio in Spanish football history.
In his third season as a Barcelona player, he scored four goals in Barca’s 5-2 victory over Rayo Vallecano in La Liga. Due to his performance, he was shortlisted for the 2015 FIFA Ballon d’Or which he finally became third. This season his attacking force with Luis Suarez and Lionel Messi broke their previous year record by scoring 131 goals in a single season. The 2016/17 was his final season in the Barcelona shirt. He played a vital role in Barcelona overturning a 4-0 deficit to PSG in the UEFA Champions League by scoring two goals and assisting the decisive goal. This overcoming was recorded as the biggest comeback in Champions League’s history. On the 2nd of April 2017, Neymar scored his 100th goal for Barcelona in his 177th appearance for the club.
Paris Saints Germain
On the 3rd of August 2017, Neymar Jr joined PSG for a world-record fee of 222 million euros after the French giants triggered his release clause. He signed a contract that runs through 2022, the Brazilian was gifted Javier Pastore number 10 jersey on his arrival. Neymar Jr made his debut for the French club on the 13th of August 2017 scoring his first goal in their jersey and assisting one of his teammates in a 3-0 win over Guingamp. The Brazilian formed an attacking trio with teenage star Kylian Mbappe and Uruguay striker Edinson Cavani in his first season. He ended his first season with injury and 28 goals in 30 games.
Neymar Jr started his second season in Paris on the 12th of August 2018 with a goal which was the first goal of the league in a 3-0 win over Caen at his home stadium Parc des Princes. He also scored a goal in his next game from a spot-kick in a 3-1 victory over Guingamp. All the members of the attacking trios scored a goal in the following league match as PSG defeated Angers 3-1. The Brazilian suffered another injury in late January 2019 which kept him out of his side’s round of 16 ties against Manchester United which the English club progressed.
His third season in the Ligue 1 was the 2019/20 season which was incomplete due to the impact of Covid-19 on world football. His first appearance was on the 14th of September 2019, he scored the only goal of the game with a bicycle kick in injury time which made PSG ease past Strasbourg with only a goal. The Brazilian suffered another injury in October which kept him out of play. He returned during his side’s UEFA Champions League group stage match against Real Madrid which ended 2-2.
The Brazilian helped PSG defeat Borussia Dortmund in the UEFA Champions League round of 16 after trailing in the first leg. Neymar scored a crucial away goal in the first leg and was involved in the two goals in the second leg which made his side progress. After the Ligue 1 early finish, he won his third league title after PSG were awarded the title. Neymar Jr led his team to the final of the UEFA Champions League which they lost to Bayern Munich.
His fourth season in Paris is on the way and he has scored his first two goals of the season against Angers as his side cruise past them in a 6-1 victory. On the 28th of October 2020, Neymar Jr picked up an abductor injury in their second Champions League match against Istanbul Basaksehir leaving the pitch after only 26 minutes of play.
Neymar Jr earned his first senior call up for the Brazil national team on the 26th of July 2010 for a friendly match against the USA. On the 10th of August 2010, he made his debut with the national team in the game at 18 years of age. He started the match and was wearing the number 11 jersey. After 28 minutes into his debut, he scored his first goal for his country. On the 27th of March 2011, he scored twice in a 2-0 win over Scotland at the Emirates Stadium. Since he made his debut for Brazil, he has played a very vital role in all their qualification for any competition especially the FIFA World Cup. He is Brazil’s second-highest goalscorer of all time; he has 64 goals in 103 appearances for Brazil.
Neymar Jr is among the most successful footballer and he has won some trophies and personal awards I will reveal below.
- Campeonato Paulista (Santos): 2010, 2011, 2012
- Copa do Brasil (Santos): 2010
- Copa Libertadores (Santos): 2011
- Recopa Sudamericana (Santos): 2012
- La Liga (Barcelona): 2015, 2016
- Copa del Rey (Barcelona): 2015, 2016, 2017
- Supercopa de Espana (Barcelona): 2013
- UEFA Champions League (Barcelona): 2015
- FIFA Club World Cup (Barcelona): 2015
- Ligue 1 (Paris Saint Germain): 2018, 2019, 2020
- Coupe de France (Paris Saint Germain): 2018, 2020
- Coupe de la Ligue (Paris Saint Germain): 2018, 2020
- Trophee des Champions (Paris Saint Germain): 2018
- UEFA Champions League runner up (Paris Saint Germain): 2020
- South American Youth Championship (Brazil Youth): 2011
- Summer Olympics Gold Medalist (Brazil Youth): 2016
- Summer Olympics Silver Medalist (Brazil Youth): 2012
- FIFA Confederations Cup (Brazil): 2013
- Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A Team of the Year: 2010, 2011, 2012
- Chuteira de Ouro: 2010, 2011, 2012
- Bola de Prata: 2010, 2011
- Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A Best Player: 2011
- UEFA Champions League top assist provider: 2016, 2017
- FIFA Club World Cup top assist provider: 2015
- UEFA Champions League top scorer: 2015
- Copa del Rey top scorer: 2015
- IFFHS World’s Best Playmaker Bronze Award: 2017
- Copa Libertadores top assist provider: 2012
- Bola de Ouro: 2011
- Copa Libertadores top scorer: 2012
- UNFP Ligue 1 Player of the Month: December 2017, January 2020
- Copa do Brasil top scorer: 2010
- Campeonato Paulista top scorer: 2012
- South American Youth Championship top scorer: 2011
- ESM Team of the Year: 2018
- IFFHS Men’s World Team: 2017
- UEFA Team of the Year: 2015
- La Liga Best World Player: 2015
- Samba Gold: 2014, 2015, 2017
- FIFA World Cup Dream Team: 2014
- UEFA Champions League Squad of the Season: 2015, 2020
- FIFA World Cup Bronze Boot: 2014
- UNFP Ligue 1 Team of the Year: 2018, 2019
- FIFA Confederations Cup Dream Team: 2013
- World Soccer Young Player of the Year: 2011
- FIFA Confederations Cup Bronze Shoe: 2013
- La Liga Player of the Month: November 2015
- FIFA Confederation Cup Golden Ball: 2013
- South American Footballer of the Year: 2011, 2012
- FIFA Puskas Award: 2011
- UNFP Ligue 1 Player of the Year: 2018
- FIFA World Cup Bronze Ball: 2011
- Copa Libertadores Most Valuable Player: 2011